What are the Statutory Licences and Educational Purposes?

There are two provisions within the Copyright Act that allow the University to reproduce copyright material for educational purposes under certain conditions. The Copyright Act defines educational purposes are as reproducing or communicating (e.g. making available online or emailing or faxing) copyright material to enrolled students for a particular course provided by the University or for the administration of that course. Educational purposes do not cover other activities of the University, such as research, marketing and promotion or engagement, for example public lectures.

The two provisions are the Part VA and Part VB statutory licence. The University pays an annual fee for the right to use these licences. These fees are then distributed to authors and creators as royalties.

The Part VA licence covers the recording or copying of radio and television broadcasts. The use of pay TV, satellite TV and podcasts of broadcasts are also included. Under the licence, broadcasts can be made available on the LMS or given to students on CDs, DVDs or USB drives etc. The Part VA licence is administered by Screenrights and is also called the Screenrights licence.

The Part VB licence covers the reproduction and communication of textual material such as book chapters, journal articles, sheet music, plays and scripts etc, and images. Material can be made available in hardcopy, for example in print course packs or class handouts; and electronically, for example on the LMS, emailed to students, or on a CD, DVD or USB drive etc. The Part VB licence is administered by the Copyright Agency Limited (CAL).

For more information on using material under the Part VA and VB licences, see Copyright and Teaching.

There is also a separate provision that allows material to be performed in class, see Using Copyright Material in Lectures.

The Part VA and VB licences only have limited coverage of music, so the University also has a licence with the Australian Music Industry for the use of recorded music for educational purposes. Again, an annual licence fee is paid to the music collecting societies, APRA/AMCOS, ARIA and PPCA, who then distribute royalties to their members. For more information see The Music Licence.