Photographing or filming people

Copyright in a photo of a person is owned by the photographer - not the subject. However, people still have rights over how their image or photograph is used under other laws such as privacy. It is University policy that you get written consent from people if their image will be used for University purposes. Consent can be given by completing the Photo Consent Release Form.

Copyright in a film is owned by the person responsible for making the film, but people and performers who appear in the film may have performers' rights over their performance. You must get consent from any individuals that you film. Consent can be given by completing the Audio-Visual Consent Deed.

It is particularly important that you have written consent if you are photographing or filming children or indigenous people.

If you are using photographs of or filming people for research purposes, you may need to get Human Ethics Approval.

If you are photographing or filming large groups of people, or have people in the background, it is obviously not practical or feasible to get consent from each person. Instead, you can display signs stating that photographs are being taken or filming is happening and asking people to let organisers know if they do not wished to be photographed or filmed.

The consent forms are generic forms, designed to suit many common activities across the University. It may not be suitable for your purposes, and if so, you should contact us for assistance.

Copies of the consent forms should be kept on file and managed in accordance with University record management practices.

For more information about privacy issues when photographing or filming people contact the University Privacy Office.