Copyright Office permissions service


We can seek permission on behalf of staff to use copyright material for official University of Melbourne purposes. This might include using material in University publications, web pages or events. We can also seek permission to use material for teaching when it is not covered by the educational provisions.

Find out when you can use copyright material without having to get permission.

We are unable to seek permission on behalf of students or for staff research publications or conference papers etc. Information on how to seek permission yourself is available.

The permissions service also handles requests from external individuals or organisations to use material where the University owns copyright. If you wish to wish material where the University owns copyright you must get permission, unless your intended use is permitted under the Copyright Act 1968.

Access the permission service

  1. Download the Permission Request Form (Word Document/69KB)
  2. Provide complete and accurate information to ensure your request is handled promptly.
  3. To submit the form or for assistance or more information, please email Please allow 4-6 weeks to complete your request.